The point of departure in consumer law is that the consumer is the weaker party vis-a-vis a professional party. This has been the reason for the installment of specific rules that aim to establish (more) balance in the contractual relationship between a consumer and a professional party. Such rules can only be effective either if parties comply spontaneously (for example by means of self-regulation) or if there is effective enforcement.
Self-regulation is not always enough and enforcement by individual consumers is lacking effectiveness for various reasons. Collective and administrative enforcement therefore are particularly relevant in the field of consumer law. By means of the Wet handhaving consumentenrechten the enforcement of (European) consumer rights has been entrusted to the Autoriteit Consument en Markt (ACM). As a result, the application of the mainly private law rules of consumer law has been transferred to the administrative law domain.
This research project explores this relatively new topic: administrative consumer law. It aims to take stock of the questions and problems that (may) arise in this context. And subsequently provide answers, or possible solutions with regard to the pinpointed issues. For example: the questions that may arise concerning the administrative enforcement of open norms in relation to the principle of legality, proportionality and subsidiarity. And: how do the administrative sanctions relate to other enforcement mechanisms? And subsequently: how can the available enforcement mechanisms be used in a mutual beneficial manner so that optimal enforcement of consumer rights can be achieved?
|Researchers:||Dr. M.Y. Schaub|
|Topic:||Distribution of responsibilities on the market|
|Approach:||Public and private law; General legal concepts and specific legal rules|
• M.Y. Schaub, ‘How to make the best of mandatory information duties in consumer law’, European Review of Private Law 2017/1, p. 25-44.
• M.Y. Schaub, ‘Wie is consument?’, Tijdschrift voor Consumentenrecht 2017/1, p. 30-40.
• M.Y. Schaub, ‘Anmerkungen zur administrativen Durchsetzung der Verbraucherrechte in den Niederlanden’, Verbrauchersrechtstage, Berlin 16 April 2016.
• M.Y. Schaub, ‘Een vliegreis maken, terwijl je je woning verhuurt via Airbnb?, Van de redactie’, Tijdschrift voor Consumentenrecht 2016/4, p. 149-150.
• M.Y. Schaub, ‘Van Consumentenautoriteit naar Autoriteit Consument & Markt’, Tijdschrift voor Consumentenrecht en handelspraktijken 2014, p. 107-113.